Online Shopping has become a part of our lives but some still worry that their credit card details will be given to the wrong person. Online shopping is certainly here to stay and online security continues to advance. There are arguments that shopping online can be safer than shopping over the phone or even in person, as you never hand your card details over to another person. Just remember to follow these tips to keep your online shopping a safe and secure experience.
- Identity of Online Retailer:-There are online companies whose brand name is recognizable, such as Amazon.com, Flipkart.com & Many More…. It is important, however, to establish the identity of lesser-known online companies who do not have instant recognition or external store status. In this case, it is important to look for the name, company registration details for your country, contact details that include an e-mail, postal address and telephone number and a clear indication of where the company’s headquarters is based.
- Company Reputation:- After looking for these signs of identification, it is a good idea to ensure that the company has a good online reputation. Do not assume that just because a store in the real world sells things one way that their online service will be as good. There might be a risk of lacking service back up or returns policies etc. for online purchases that do not exist if you buy direct in the store. Reputation can be checked via searches of the internet for comments from others on consumer review sites. Many reputable online companies allow people to rate their service and products on the site itself, for example computer and camera stores. You can read these reviews for yourself to decide. In addition, you can always phone or e-mail a company the first time you purchase something and ask questions.
- Bill, Guarantee & Delivery Time: – Always look for the additional costs and payment details before sending credit card details. Look for:
- Packaging costs
- Delivery costs
- Prepaid Or COD
- Online Tracking
- Replacement Warranty If Comes through manufacturing defects.
- Return Policy
- Who will bear the cost of returning the item (postage, fees etc.)
- Only use secure websites if you are transferring funds via the site. Once you’re happy with the company you are purchasing from, ensure that your credit card details are going to be processed using a secure connection. The most common form of secure encryption is known as Secure Sockets Layer or SSL for short. SSL encrypts data and breaks it up into small pieces so that the information cannot be read by anyone wanting to intercept it. To check that your place of purchase is using SSL or secure technology there are a few things to look out for in your Internet browser.
- Take care when entering information. Be sure to enter the correct details when typing in your order. An incorrect address, amount of items or wrong item code can cause many difficulties. Always review the information before pressing send.
- Use a credit card with online fraud protection. Just in case all else fails it pays to know the policy for online fraud protection offered by your credit card company. Many credit card companies offer protection against purchases made without your consent and have special clauses to include online purchases.
- Install a Phishing Filter. There are various phishing filters, like Smart Screen Filter in Internet Explorer, which will help protect you from phishing sites by warning you when it detects a distrustful website.
- Record purchase details. After purchasing your item, always record the details of the time, date, receipt number, and order confirmation. If you cannot print one off, take a screenshot as a form of proof of purchase.
Be aware of email scams designed to part you from your credit card information. Email frauds that are designed to gather personal information such as passwords and credit card details are known as phishing emails. The idea is that thousands or hundreds of thousands are sent out in the hope of reeling in unsuspecting victims and getting them to part with confidential information. The emails appear to be from well-known companies and can look quite convincing. However, legitimate companies, including all banks, will never send you an email with a link requesting your login, password, or credit card details.
Various Tips for Online Shopping
- Credit cards tend to offer more protection than debit cards as they don’t directly remove funds from your own bank account. If a transaction goes under investigation or proves to be fraudulent, you may never end out of pocket with a credit card providing your card issuer provides protection.
- Take advantage of one-time-use *virtual credit cards offered by many card issuers.
- Take advantage of one-time-use *virtual credit cards offered by many card issuers. An example of this is verified by Visa or MasterCard Secure Code. This is an optional feature so only offers support with selected websites or payment processing systems. If you activate the code and shop on sites that carry the logo, the check out process will require the password you set up to authorize your purchase.
- Visa credit cards offer fraud protection
- An increasing number of online stores now request a CVV or card verification number when making a purchase. The CVV code is the small code shown on the signature bar on the back of your card. Normally the last 3 digits of the code are required. This is to prevent someone who has managed to get your name; card number and expiration date from being able to make purchases using your card.
- If you are buying from another country, check such matters as the currency that you are paying in, exchange rates and the possibility of sales duties or taxes being levied on your purchase when it reaches you. Also be sure that what you purchase from another country is legal in your country.Or Also PayPal is service provider if you shop internationally we will suggest you to use PayPal if you shop internationally.
- Never send your credit card details through non-secure online methods such as via email. Such methods will offer little protection